First casualty from the continuous heatwave

Cyprus | Posted:

A 65-year-old woman died on Wednesday night in Nicosia from heat stroke, according to health ministry officials.

She is the first woman to have died as the result of the heatwave that has been ongoing for the last week.

“She was taken to Nicosia General Hospital by ambulance where efforts were made to revive her but unfortunately she died,” said Ioanna Grigoriou, from the health services.

According to Grigoriou, the woman, who suffered from chronic health problems, was found at home alone by a relative who also tried to revive her.

“The post-mortem, that took place this morning (yesterday), confirmed the diagnosis of heat stroke,” added Grigoriou.

Yesterday there were two new cases of heat stroke – men aged 54 and 49 - bringing the total number hospitalised to nine in Limassol, Nicosia and Famagusta. However, Grigoriou reassured that they are all doing well. From the previous cases, two have already been discharged.

Meanwhile, the Met Office said that temperatures will drop to 40C inland by today, 32-36C on the coast and 32C in the mountains. Meteorological officer Marios Theofilou said that these temperatures are still higher than the norm for the month which is 37C inland, 32C on the coast and 28 in the mountains.

Temperatures will begin to drop by the weekend, he said.

The Labour Ministry issued an announcement yesterday saying that employees should not be exposed to the sun until after 4 pm. “Light work can be done in a shady area wearing light clothes while also drinking plenty of cool water,” they said.

source: Cyprus Mail